Sunday, April 25, 2010

Book Review -- THE HELP

This month my book club, Book Divas, has read THE HELP, by Kathryn Stockett. It was my turn to choose our reading selection. I'd already devoured THE HELP and loved it. Many readers were born after the setting of this book but they'll recognize correllations to our present society.

First of all, I want to say that it should be a law that ALL people must work with the public before they become twenty-one. Those who do develop a new appreciation to being at the whims of self-centered people. They are never rude to restaurant servers because they remember the surly customers who stiffed them their tips. They remember being yelled at becauser of prices they had no part in determining. And they learn what it's like to clean up other people's messes with little or no thanks.

But Skeeter, the protagonist of THE HELP, has a unique appreciation for those who serve others. It's in the way she charges forth to right wrongs that makes this book one you will keep on your shelves right beside TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. I loved the story and I loved the ending.  I dare you to read it and disagree!

No comments: