Sunday, July 11, 2010

Book Review, WELCOME TO HARMONY by Jodi Thomas


Congratulations to Cathie, the commenter who won my Saturday drawing of a download of her choice of either OUT OF THE BLUE or the Civil War anthology NORTHERN ROSES AND SOUTHERN BELLES. Cathie, I'll email you to learn your choice.


Jodi Thomas is one of my favorite writers, and I keep all of her books. She is a Texas writer and I identify with her stories and her characters. Her latest release, WELCOME TO HARMONY, is set in a fictional West Texas town located--in my opinion--between Lubbock and Amarillo. I loved the people in this town. The story is launched by Reagan, a sixteen-year-old runaway from the foster system that has abused her, who has yearned for a home. She decided that Harmony sounded like the perfect place, so she's come hoping to stay--and hoping that she can fulfill her dreams. We never learn her last name, but it's not important. She is the catalyst in a story peopled with numerous lovable characters and a few not-so-lovable ones. 

When I read the back blurb of this book and realized that a teen was the main character, I wondered how Jodi Thomas would pull this one off. Knowing how much I'd enjoyed each of her previous books, I bought this one in spite of the back cover blurb. I need not have worried, because once again Jodi Thomas delivered a winning story. I grew up in Lubbock, and her characterizations are spot on for the area.  Her descriptions of the landscape made me feel at home. Although the primary conflict is resolved, a couple of loose ends dangle to tempt readers to pick up the next book of the series, which is due out this fall. I know I'll be first in line for the next one.

I might also point out that WELCOME TO HARMONY ties in nicely with the previous book, titled TWISTED CREEK.  You can't go wrong with a book by Jodi Thomas!

No comments: