Friday, September 23, 2011

FALL, GLORIOUS FALL, IS HERE

Fall is a wonderful time for Hero and me. The days are finally cooler, taxes and insurance are paid, we have the Christmas holidays teasing us ahead, and we enjoy the changing colors. The fires near Darling Daughter 1 are extinguished. With a recent rain that has renewed the greenery and refreshed the air, we might almost forget that parts of Texas are still burning, but we keep those people in our prayers daily.

To those of you in New England or the Pacific Northwest I suppose our changing leaves are laughable. But give us some leeway, please, and let us enjoy this season. So, stealing an idea from my lovely online friend Beth Trissel, here are some fall greetings.


Lost Maples State Natural Area near Bandera, Texas
 Lost Maples State Natural area is a breathtaking site. In fact, Darling Daughter 2 and I visited it several years ago and felt almost as if we were in a cathedral. It's the only place in the state (as far as I know) where these maples grow naturally. Ergo, the name Lost Maples. Years ago Comanche, Comancheros, and rustlers used the valley as a route to drive stolen cattle to Mexico. Now it's a state park for the benefit of everyone with peaceful intentions. No rustlers allowed.

"It was one of those perfect English autumnal days which occur more frequently in memory than in life." P. D. James



Lost Maples
 "There is a harmony in autumn, and a luster in its sky, which through the summer is not heard or seen, as if it could not be, as if it had not been!"
Percy Bysshe Shelley
 
"Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile."

William Cullen Bryant

Fall Harvest
"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."
George Eliot

"No Spring nor Summer Beauty hath such grace

As I have seen in one Autumnal face." John Donne
"Every season hath its pleasures;

Spring may boast her flowery prime,
Yet the vineyard's ruby treasures
Brighten Autumn's sob'rer time." Thomas Moore

When I was a girl, I loved Emily Dickinson's poetry. I still do, of course, so I'll share this one with you.
"The morns are meeker than they were,

The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on." Emily Dickinson

"Summer makes me drowsy.

Autumn makes me sing.
Winter's pretty lousy,
But I hate Spring." Dorothy Parker

I'll close with a song by one of my favorite popular composers, Johnny Mercer. That man knew how to write a song we'd remember.


Autumn Leaves
 "The falling leaves drift by the window

The autumn leaves of red and gold
I see your lips, the summer kisses
The sun-burned hands I used to hold
Since you went away the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song
But I miss you most of all my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall."
Johnny Mercer

Thanks again to those of you who have purchased my print or e-books from The Wild Rose Press at
www.thewildrosepress.com/Caroline-Clemmons-m-638.html or my backlist in e-book from Amazon Kindle. The backlist is still on sale for 99 cents each.

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Sage Ravenwood said...

Autumn is by far my favorite season here in upstate NY. The leaves are just now beginning to change. (Hugs)Indigo

Shirley Wells said...

I love autumn. Here in the UK it's not ridiculously cold but chilly enough to curl up with a good book in front of a log fire. I love winter too as I'm a snow fiend. :)

Have a great weekend!

Virginia C said...

Fabulous post! Fall is my favorite season : ) Here's a sweet treat to thank you for your Autumn salute:

Brown Sugar & Spice Cookies

1 cup real butter (2 sticks), softened
1 cup brown sugar
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups flour

Beat butter, sugar, salt, egg, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour on low speed until well mixed. Refrigerate 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Store in an airtight container.