Friday, June 15, 2012

MOM WARNED ME...



Do you have those days where you do something and then cringe at the results? Then, inside your head you hear your mom’s voice saying, “How many times have I told you not to do that?”

No matter how old I am, there are times this happens. Case in point, this evening. I was sitting in the church parking lot waiting to meet a friend so we could car pool to book club.  I was a tiny bit early, so I parked in the shade and put my legs on the seat to read while I waited. I saw a tiny smudge on one leg of my slacks and brushed it off. Then I spotted a loose thread, down near the hem. Before I thought about it, I pulled the string. Yep, you guessed it...the hem unraveled. Totally unraveled.


My mom told me never, ever pull a loose thread. Cut it. Knot it. Never tug on it. I know this. I’ve known it since I was a kid. I plead distraction, momentary insanity, a really bad week. And suddenly I feel ten years old with my mom telling me I should have listened to her.

In a panic, because this friend for whom I’m waiting is always perfectly groomed and neat plus this is the first time she’s come with me to book club, I rummaged in my glove box for anything to repair this hem. Flashlight, no help.
Ice scraper, it’s 90 degrees outside.
Auto instruction book, useless on this occasion.
Post it Notepad, I don't think so.
Scotch tape....hmmm, worth a try.

I am my car doing contortions to mend this hem before my friend arrives.

Note to self: Scotch tape will not stick to synthetic fabric.

Here I am in my car, not enough time to go home and change, not enough time to rush to a drug store for another remedy, nothing in my purse to help. Basically, I am stuck with my left slacks leg longer than the right. Maybe I can lean to the right...no, that won't help either.

Don't be alarmed for my sanity.  I do have a life so I'm not blowing this out of proportion. In the grand scheme of life, a sloppy hem is not a crisis. It’s embarrassing, but world peace is not threatened. This will not add to global warming. No animals will be harmed because of it.

It’s just so annoying to do something stupid, then remember the gazillion times my mom warned me not to do that very thing.

I’m sure nothing like this ever happens to you, does it?

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Beth Trissel said...

I love this Caroline! And can relate. Not so much in that my mom warned me, although she probably has, but because I do these sorts of things, and so very often feel rather shabby in my attire. Probably because I don't care as much as I should. :) Not sure what would have worked to repair your situation apart from safety pins.